Let's enter the wayback machine

Pagan

Reaction score
My buddy Mike Lepond from the band Symphony X and his own solo band SIlent Assassins has a video blog series called "Storytellers." I had the honor of being asked to guest on an episode comparing metal from the 80s (and the lifestyle itself) to now. I know it's about metal but it's enjoyable to anyone so I dropped it in here. We may do an ongoing series called "Angry Old Metal Guys" soon.

Diofan

Administrator - Washington State
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Pagan I think you hit the nail on all the questions. Pretty much same thing I always thought all the way through the video! you and Mike are both right, in the 80s (and yes even the 70s) Metal was more RAW and in your face in all aspects. It's funny you talked about High school..I was in the metalhead crowd, I wouldn't go anywhere near a new wave chick, and I ended up MARRYING one that LIKED New Wave. My High school Girlfreind was, like you, way into Maiden. I was that guy in high school with the denim "vest" with the Dio logo painted on the back in black permanent marker (LOL). The reason the Hair band guys got the girls was they were pretty boys. I am part of a facebook group of my high school classmates and we talked about something similar. We said back then it wasn't about your race, ethnicity, how much money your parents made, it was about the music (and the Jocks, nerds, preps, etc.) My High school had been broken down into the following music "classes": Metalheads, Wavers, Pretty boys (hair band fans) and Popsters. Loved the interview. Mike Lepond needs to do more of these with you, you guys just have a chemistry that just clicks.

Last edited:

Pagan

Reaction score
Perfect title! 🤪 To say this was just the tip of the iceberg on the tales you can tell of the metal life back then is a massive understatement... could be an interesting series if ya keep it going!
There'll definitely be at least one more episode. We had a great laugh doing this one. LOL