Kids today like our 80s music

Recker

Reaction score
I'm amazed at how many kids these days enjoy our music. Recently, I've had a 14 year old wanting to listen to my 80s music each day I drove her to school. And wanting me to copy it onto her phone. My daughter, who is 26 now, says today's music sucks and she prefers stuff from the 70s, 80s and 90s.

I think for the main part, music is similar to it was in our days. The typical band hasn't changed much in 50 years. It's still your drums, keyboards, guitars, bass and maybe a saxophone.

It's not like when we were kids, where you would never admit to liking the music your parents listen to!

Back then: Parents playing music from 30-40 years ago = Thumbs down.
Now: Parents playing music from 30-40 years ago = Thumbs up.

Sal Collaziano

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Moved this into its own discussion. Yeah, I hear about this being the case as well. I think our music was more fun and lighthearted than today's music. When were were growing up, 2 Live Crew was considered very unusual. Now songs like WAP (wet ass *****) are the norm. :rolleyes:

Roemello

Photographer Extraordinaire
Reaction score
2 Live Crew's stuff would flip WAP on it's ass! I've listened to the latter (albeit I could only stomach listening to the metal version by Leo Moracchioli), but some of Crews songs would make WAP sound tame. Case and point... "Face Down, Ass Up" lol. Crew's were way more fun and hilarious as well. Another one was Gillette/20 Fingers when I was in high school.

But to the point of 80s music still relevant today, I've seen a lot of it in reaction videos on youtube and even while at a department store where it'd be playing... younger people than you'd expect to be into it enjoying it while shopping. Good taste hasn't died out completely just yet. And in a world with so much more negativity abound, music with a positive fun vibe should be all the more appreciated.

Sal Collaziano

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
2 Live Crew's stuff would flip WAP on it's ass! I've listened to the latter (albeit I could only stomach listening to the metal version by Leo Moracchioli), but some of Crews songs would make WAP sound tame. Case and point... "Face Down, Ass Up" lol. Crew's were way more fun and hilarious as well. Another one was Gillette/20 Fingers when I was in high school.

But to the point of 80s music still relevant today, I've seen a lot of it in reaction videos on youtube and even while at a department store where it'd be playing... younger people than you'd expect to be into it enjoying it while shopping. Good taste hasn't died out completely just yet. And in a world with so much more negativity abound, music with a positive fun vibe should be all the more appreciated.
Yeah, I hear ya. "Pop That...". "Tootsie Roll". :p I do wish some of our 80s "sound" would come back to music. Perhaps it's not possible...

Diofan

Administrator - Washington State
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My parents were teens in the 50s. So growing up, yeah I thought their music sucked. Do-wop stuff. My mom actually liked the Stray cats though...go figure! And she thought Queen's "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" was a new Elvis Presley song. I'm sure Freddie would have loved that. My older siblings got me into music that would eventually Be my love of 80s metal. In the 70s I was influenced by my big brothers tastes like Bad company, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Deep purple (he was a 70s teen). When my sister brought home Van Halen's first album in 1979...that sealed my fate LOL! She went on to like stuff like Tom petty and Bruce Springsteen..more middle of the road stuff and I went on to Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Rainbow, and of course, Dio.

Sal Collaziano

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My parents were teens in the 50s. So growing up, yeah I thought their music sucked. Do-wop stuff. My mom actually liked the Stray cats though...go figure! And she thought Queen's "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" was a new Elvis Presley song. I'm sure Freddie would have loved that. My older siblings got me into music that would eventually Be my love of 80s metal. In the 70s I was influenced by my big brothers tastes like Bad company, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Deep purple (he was a 70s teen). When my sister brought home Van Halen's first album in 1979...that sealed my fate LOL! She went on to like stuff like Tom petty and Bruce Springsteen..more middle of the road stuff and I went on to Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Rainbow, and of course, Dio.
I think the best of the best from our time will always sound good to reasonable ears - as well as music from way before our time. If it's good, it's good.

Walvis

Reaction score
On youtube you can find loads of kids doing first time reaction video's. It's fun to see someone listening to a great song and being amazed on how good music was back in the day.